![]() |
| Photo Credit: Jackie Knapp |
Color evokes
emotion. Color reminds us of things that have since passed. Color associates,
clarifies, defines, and binds experiences with feelings that otherwise wouldn’t
be expressed. Color captivates. Experiences wouldn’t be as vivid and enriching
if they were isolated to a canvas limited to black and white. They would lack
imagination and beauty, longing for expression found only in the shades and
hues provided through an endless chromatic spectrum.
The world was not
created void of color. From the beginning of creation the Great Artist gave
richness and intensity to the universe. He molded. He sculpted. He painted. He crafted Uganda, a country rich with color.
Every small experience is engulfed with the richness of the palette of its
Master. Imagining the jungles of Rwenzori, the plains of Gulu, or the muddy
huts of Moyo would fall short of reality without the influence of the many
colors that paint the pictures stamped on the minds of their visitors.
![]() |
| Photo Credit: Jackie Knapp |
Green is the land
that defines Uganda; the land that earned the title “Pearl of Africa”, the land
that changes from one district to the next. From the jungles that surround
Bwindi, that give home to the gorillas and the chimpanzees, the bush that
conceals the villages of Kubamitwe, Swanta, and Busuku to the plains of
Murchison and Kibale that hold the beautiful beasts that find rest in Uganda.
This fertile, green land provides sustenance for its people. It provides
matoke, maize, cassava, and avocado, producing trees for building, and reeds
for weaving. This land works as hard at the people who dig it, returning the
effort with reward, giving confidence that their work will not be in vain. Life
grows out of this land.
![]() |
| Photo Credit: Jackie Knapp |
Red is the blood
that flows through the bodies of the people who call Uganda their home, who
know no other home. Who fight and struggle to make their home one that they can
grow and flourish and provide for the children that God has given them. Their
deep red blood is thick and strong. It survives when most would collapse,
claiming victory at the end of each day, rejoicing upon waking each morning. This
red blood is rich in culture and customs; rituals that have withstood the test
of time, corrupt government rule, war, and tribal rituals. Customs that expect
you kneel when addressing an elder, that offer food even when it’s the last of
your food, customs that require elaborate weddings, and burials attended by the
entire village. This blood makes up these people, people loved by God, people
who survive against evil, people who have a way of taking ownership of a
person’s heart in a way that is unrivaled by most. Life flows out of this
blood.



I am dyyyying over you blog right now!! I just happened to stumble upon it by total accident... but I just spent the last 15 minutes scrolling through all of your posts and looking at your pictures! my brother is serving his mission in Uganda right now!! I am so excited I found your blog I cant even express it! it makes me feel like i'm there. I cant wait to tell him about this! newest follower! keep them coming! :) I love Uganda! wish I was there too!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you stumbled upon the blog! It makes me so happy that you love Uganda so much. It has definitely stolen my heart. What mission is your brother serving in? I'd love to check it out.
DeleteHe was called to Kampala Uganda. right now he is in a city called Mukono? Is that near you?
DeleteYea, it's not far. I was actually just there on Tuesday at a wedding introduction.
DeleteIf you see a tall skinny white lds elder with a face that looks similar to mine! That's my brother! Hahaha
DeleteWell I will be sure to keep an eye out! ;)
Delete